Friday, February 25, 2011

Baby On The Way card

So, having seen the latest challenge over at Lawnscaping, I had ideas for two cards for the challenge. I had finished the first one on wednesday, and the second one was started. My plan was to finish the second one today, and then post the two here on my blog together. But then, yesterday, we had a death in the family, and so now I'm really not sure if I'll be able to finish the second card. So today I'll post the first, finished card, and if I do have the time to finish the other one in time, I'll post that in another post later on.

Okay, so the card I'm posting today is a card made with a brand new Lawn Fawn set, that I just ordered (from Kreative Fornemmelser) and got in the mail. I know this set has not been released on the Lawn Fawn blog or website, but I guess their retailers have permission to sell them already, so that's how I was able to purchase it. This new set is called Plus One, and it's all about babies! I have a friend who I've previously studied along with, who's expecting her first child soon, and so I was thinking I'd send her this card. So, again, this is the challenge over at Lawnscaping this time:



And here's the card I finished for this challenge:



I paper-pieced the stork from some different scraps of patterned paper or cardstock. The body of the stork I stamped and cut out of white cardstock, and then I added just a very light grey shading on it, using a Promarker. I actually enjoy cutting out small pieces for paper piecing, but I did have some issues when I was cutting out the little heart. As you can see, it's only about 1/4"! I don't have much problems with the cutting itself, as I've learned to move the paper instead of the scissors. But trying to hold the little heart as I was cutting it was not that easy! I did get it done, though =) The heart, by the way, is not part of the stork stamp, but it is in this set, so I used it as well. When I had adhered the heart to the rest of the image, I used some clear embossingpowder to make it shiny.
For the sky, I used a template of a cloud-shape and some Soft Pool Hero Arts shadow ink to create the background (I learned how to do that watching this video). I adhered it onto a piece of green cardstock, which I had cut out using a nestabilities die. Then I added that to the white cardbase using foam adhesive.

Edited to add:
I was thinking about entering this card into the Moxie Fab World's paper piecing challenge as well, but had initially thought it was no way this card is good enough to compete with all of the amazingly talented people that is sure to submit their stuff there. But then it struck me a minute ago that it's not just about winning, it's about competing! So I'm entering it into the challenge after all =)
Check out the Moxie Fab World blog here, and the paper piecing challenge they're having here. And do play along if you want to!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
- Marie / Legojenta

9 comments:

Jay Gee said... [Reply]

So sorry to hear about the death in your family Marie, I am thinking about you.

This card is so sweet, I love the stork image. Well done for entering it into the Moxie Fab World challenge, I agree with you that it is about having a go and that's the only way to get better. Hugs to you.

Karen B. said... [Reply]

This is ADORABLE! Love the papers you've chosen.

Kelly said... [Reply]

((Hugs)) regarding the loss in your family.
The card is adorable. Lucky you to get an unreleased set, tee hee. the heart is a great addition!

Christiana said... [Reply]

Marie, I'm so sorry for your loss. That's very sad.

Your card is absolutely, awesomely adorable! I love it so much! The heart on the sack is perfection. You've made me so excited for the release of this set! I love your cloud background, too. I'm going to go watch that video and learn how you did it! It's perfect for the adorable stork. Wonderful job! Thanks so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping! I always look forward to your submissions!

Laurel said... [Reply]

Marie, I am truly sorry for your loss!

Your card is wonderful. I love your cloud background and the heart is a perfect touch. I know what you mean about trying to hold that little stinker. I, too, had problems with one my cards using the heart from My Silly Valentine... You did a great job with the submission. And I am glad you decided to enter it in the Moxie Fab challenge. As always, thanks for playing along with us at Lawnscaping!

Karin (Peppermintpatty) said... [Reply]

So CUTE!

Diane Jaquay said... [Reply]

What a CUTE card, I love that stork!!!

Lynnette said... [Reply]

Sorry for your loss. Great use of the upcoming released set. Way to enter the challenges. Sometimes you have to just take the plunge and go for it

Cath said... [Reply]

Hey Marie! Thanks for entering the Paper Piecing Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the stampy fun! :)