Thursday, March 24, 2011

the pen is mightier than the sword...

Hi everyone


So, today’s post is different from (probably) anything I’ve ever posted on my blog before. It is a reflection on the impact our words can have on other people. You see – I got an email today from another blogger, letting me know that I had written a comment on another womans blog, about one of her cards, that had read like it was meant to be critical or mean. I felt really sad when I read the email I received, as I realized that not only had I expressed myself poorly, I may have also hurt someone’s feelings. It was at that moment I really realized why they say that ‘the pen is mightier than the sword’.

The lady who emailed me referred to a specific comment, and I was happy to be able to go back to that and leave the woman who had made the card, another comment, explaining what I had meant to say, and apologize for it. I hope she will see that new comment, and see what I had meant to say.

I also got to thinking about something after this all happened. A while back, here in Norway, there was a thing in the media about how rude and ugly people are to each other online. I remember thinking how happy I was to have found, and be able to be a part of, a community online that was not like that at all. I feel that the scrapbooking/cardmaking/papercrafting community online is so positive, and that it is a gathering of a lot of really nice, happy and positive men and women.

I feel so sorry to have published a badly written comment, making a black mark (I think that would be a fitting saying?) on this wonderful papercrafting community online. I hope I have apologized to whoever may have been affected by any poorly written comment I’ve made, and that that makes it a little bit better. I cannot undo it, but at least I can apologize for it. I’m happy to have gotten a chance to do that.

I guess I also wanted, with this blogpost, to ask you all to please pay attention to what you write when you leave comments for people on their blogs. I was lucky enough to have it pointed out to me that I had written a bad comment, and was able to go back and apologize. I wish I had taken more care when writing that first, original comment, so that I had not published a comment that read critical or mean.

I hope to never publish another comment like that anymore. I will be sure to pay much more attention, and think more about what I want to say in a comment, in the future.

- Marie / Legojenta

3 comments:

Mary J said... [Reply]

Hello Marie! I am sure you have been forgiven! It is so easy to misinterpret the written word, especially as our community is global too!

Thx for reminding us that we should always consider what we write and not be hasty in our need to get round all those lovely blogs out there!

I hope I haven't offended any of my blog friends out there inadvertently - apologies if I have!

Lola G. said... [Reply]

Your caring spirit comes through in a lovely way. It's a very good reminder for all of us to take that extra moment to choose words carefully -- I find that sometimes just re-reading what I have written allows me to "hear" how it could come across.

Heather Innusa said... [Reply]

Aw Marie, I'm sure she probably knew what you meant. I got one that kind of hurt my feelings (not from you, of course) but I think I may have taken it out of context & so I blew it off.

You're right, the papercrafting communiy is usually a happy place. I think we usually all follow the 'treat others the way you want to be treated', and know how hard it is to put ourselves out there for public opinions of our art. Its not easy. A lot of us start to 'know' each other & appreciate any comments we get from eachother. The person who commented me has commented me on so many things in sweet ways, that when I read it & felt bad, I said 'dont take it that way, she's always sweet... I'm probably projecting something wrong'. You know what I mean? Who knows, I'm sure I've done the same thing (by accident).

I'm sure she got your follow up comment & really appreciated it :D. It was super sweet of you to go back & tell her. Ps I LOVED what you did with the 'splash of color' lawnscaping challenge! Such a great idea. I love your style. You're full of innovative ideas!!