Saturday, May 4, 2013

Craft Dash!

The third 7 or less challenge is going on right now! Click the graphic below to check it out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I have a card to share, that I made to enter into these challenges:

10 Minute Craft Dash #17

Simon Says Stamp Challenge - Happy Mail (non-occasion cards)
Paper Smooches SPARKS - Anything Goes

Now, I primarily wanted to try my hand at the 10 Minute Craft Dash challenge. I have done it before, and I must say it's challenging. I'm a rather slow cardmaker, and get soo hung up in getting everything perfect on my cards. But the colors for the current craft dash are so pretty, and I wanted to play with them =)

I thought about shooting a video while making the card, but decided that would be too stressful. Seriously, making sure I'm in view of the camera, not getting my head in the shot and other things, are all stuff I can do without when attempting to hurry and get the card done in under 10 minutes. Instead, I thought I'd share with you just about how the process went.


(Feel free to just scroll down to see the card, and skip this part)
Start timer. Cut and score cardbase and cut kraft panel. Mount penguin and sentiment stamps on clear block. Shoot - I need another block for the bow image! Get one and move along. Ink up penguin, while thinking "Boy, I hope this will stamp well, I know haven't used this stamp before. Should have tested it out on scrap paper earlier. No time for that now, just keep going!". Ink up sentiment, and stamp both quickly on white cardstock. See that the red-ish pink color is really dark and bright, oh no that looks soo bad! Remember that it's a HA ink that will fade and lighten up after drying for some time. Then, realize there are two bald spots on the penguin that didn't stamp. Quickly get out craft nib, add ink to the bald spots using the nib. Don't bother cleaning stamp, that can wait until after. Ink up and stamp bow on scrap paper, twice because I don't like how the first one turned out. Cut down stamped panel with penguin and sentiment, and cut bow out. Try not to think about the white edges on the cut bow, since I know I don't have time to ink them in the blue ink. Keep moving by rounding the corners of the image panel. Adhere bow to penguin, bend sides up. Adhere kraft panel to cardbase while looking at the timer and feeling stressed about how close I'm getting to 10 minutes. Add foam squares to the back of stamped panel, putting them all crooked because I'm hurrying, and attach to card. Look at the card for a few seconds, and realize it needs a kraft-ish colored pearl in the center of the bow. Pull out the pearl/bling box I have, and shuffle through like a mad woman trying to find a color that will work. No time to use a Copic marker to color a white one, it won't dry in time. Find a pearl from an old pearl pack, quickly pry it out from the package and slap it onto the bow. Stop timer. Gosh, I made it. With 42 seconds to spare =)




Time it took to make this card: 9 minutes, 18 seconds

The color of the penguin is still too bright and dark for me. I should have tried stamping it off first, and then stamping it onto the cardstock for a lighter color. But that never crossed my mind when I was making the card, so this will just have to do =)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
- Marie

7 comments:

Paulina said... [Reply]

This card is cute, Marie! I can't help but smile every single time I see a Paper Smooches stamp used- there stamps are all so happy!

Thank you for playing along in the 10 Minute Craft Dash.

Lyndal said... [Reply]

Sooo cute Marie!
So glad you joined in the fun at the 10 Minute Craft Dash - hope to see you again soon :)

Tenia Nelson said... [Reply]

So so cute!!

Meredith MacRitchie said... [Reply]

Oh, this is so cute!! I love your layout as well! I am so glad you joined us again at the Craft Dash!

Poorvi said... [Reply]

Oh, this little pingu girlie is so cute, Marie! The bow is really sweet :)
Thanks for joining us at the 10 Minute Craft Dash - I hope we'll see you again soon!

Larissa Heskett said... [Reply]

I am LOVING your Cute card!! Such a FUN take on the Challenge!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

debby4000 said... [Reply]

Soooooo cute.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp challenge.

luv
Debby