Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hello Deer Card

Today I am sharing a card I made to enter into the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp - Animal Antics

Lawnscaping - These are a few of my favorite things


I used one of my favorite new Lawn Fawn stampsets, and made a square 4 1/4" card. I also used my favorite coloring medium, Copic markers =)

Before I show you the card, I wanted to tell you about my reaction when I first saw this stampset released. I absolutely fell in love with the cute deer, but after looking at it for a few seconds, I thought something looked a litte bit... off. I realized that to my eye, the deer was missing an ear, and it looked a litte bit weird. Cute, and totally pretty, but also in a way a little strange. So, when I got the set in my hands, I decided to use some masking to give the deer a second ear. I wanted to show you quickly the process, so I took some pictures while I was doing it (after having tried it out to make sure it worked =)

First, I stamped the deer normally on my cardstock

Then, I masked the entire deer off with masking paper


I also added some extra masking paper to make sure everything I needed covered up, was covered up.

I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to lign up the second ear

And then I inked up the ear portion of the stamp, and stamped it down

I removed the masks, and voila!


Here's a comparison of the original deer and a two-eared deer

And a comparison of the two with an added sequin/small flower


Here's how my finished card turned out:



After stamping the deer, I colored it in with Copics. I stamped the hello speech bubble in black, and cut off the point to make it a sign instead. I drew in two little lines with a marker to make it look like the deer is holding the sign, curved the sign a bit, and adhered only the top portion to the card to keep it curved. I rounded the top corners, adhered the image piece, and added some pink twine as well. I hardly never use twine, but felt that this card really needed some =)


Would you like to see more blogposts with cards where I tweaked the stamps to get a different image? Click on either of the images below to see more!
     


Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
- Marie

8 comments:

Efrat said... [Reply]

Cute card and a clever way to add an ear.

Melissa Shea said... [Reply]

So creative to add the 2nd ear! Such a fun card! Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

Rachel W K said... [Reply]

this is such a cutie! love the addition to the stamp
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.com

Mateja Povše said... [Reply]

You really have an eye for this sort of things :) He is super cute originally but extra cute with your "makeover" :)

Dawn said... [Reply]

love your card! The little flower is so cute!

Samantha Casey said... [Reply]

Awesome tutorial! I love the card you made! That little dear is so cute, and I love the sign it is holding! Amazing job!

-Samantha

cheiron said... [Reply]

This deer is so cute!!! Love this card. Thanks for playing along with the Animal Antics Challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week!

Tamara said... [Reply]

Very cute card and very clever what you did with the ears :)
Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping :)
xoxo Tamara